Friday, February 26, 2010

Don't Want No SHORT PEOPLE Round Here

I've learned an important lesson while making Wink 2. Drawing tiny people is easy. Cutting tiny people out of paper is difficult. Cutting many tiny people out of paper is self-inflicted punishment.

Yesterday I worked on an illustration where a hoard of fans chase Wink into the Summer Moon School for Young Ninjas. I made fifteen people who were all roughly the size of a quarter. Not fun. But I cheated a bit - ssssh - don't tell. You see, normally I cut everything out of paper; socks, shoes, hair, hair ties. But this time I painted a bunch. If you'll look at the girl in the school uniform, above, the shirt, arm, head, and hair - are actually just one piece of paper which I painted. The blue skirt is a separate piece. Then the legs, socks, shoes are one painted piece. When she is normal sized, I usually use 12 pieces to make her. Her tiny self requires only 3 pieces. And thank goodness for that - because otherwise - AHHHHH!

That said, I take great pride in the fact that I did cut the number 2 for the boy's shirt.

And it's satisfying to know that I've completed one of the more challenging spreads in the book. Phew.

Today's challenge: take a synopsis that was once 8 pages, is now 5 pages, and condense it to two pages. Yipes.

2 comments:

Ă„iti said...

That's one shiny quarter you found for your photo shoot :-) Very interesting post, love learning about these details.

Natalie said...

In your past life, you must have been one of those people who could carve the Eiffel Tower from a grain of rice. These quarter-sized kids are even more impressive. :-)