Monday, February 15, 2010

Going Out (into the Big, Bad World)

The secret project is ready to go out into the world and see: who likes it, who hates it, who hates aspects of it but likes others, and hopefully, who loves it.

I spent the weekend printing up art, going to Staples for more ink, and then printing up more art. I have two tidy stacks ready to go back to Staples to be bound and then sent to my agent in New York - but it's a holiday today so no mail. I'll have to wait until tomorrow. And then I'll get back to Wink 2 and tuck the secret project into a drawer in my mind and forget about it until I get a call.

The last time I went through this was with the first Wink. At some point, my agent sent me five rejection letters from some of the houses with comments such as: love the art, but the story is predictable; love the story but the art is static. I wonder if any of those editors ever saw Wink at Barnes & Noble and thought Wow - someone picked up that cruddy story?! or Doh! I should have picked up that cruddy story!

Wink 2 went directly to the same editor who worked on Wink 1 - so it got a little trimming up - no rejections. That's the way to go, I tell ya. (That's not to say that other stories I pitched to said editor didn't get the boot, just not Wink.)

Now I'm back to the "dating" stage - if you will. Putting my stuff out there and seeing if I get a bite. I can tell you that the secret project is completely different from Wink. Different style. Different genre. Different target age group. I've been working on it constantly since October 2008. And I love it and really, really want to work on it.

Fingers crossed for someone who loves it too. I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Fingers crossed for you. Hope it's love at first sight for them!

Chicklebee said...

Ditto what Robin said! We're all crossing our fingers.....toes....legs....etc!!!

Natalie said...

I loved it in its initial stage, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of bites out there. Exciting!

Julie_c said...

You know Natalie - it is soooooo different from the stuff I sent you guys. But you saw some of the sketches so you know.

Thanks for the good vibes everyone!!!

cynjay said...

Smart people love your super sekrit project!