Monday, April 19, 2010

Author Visit: Braeburn School

Friday I had the pleasure of visiting the kids at the Braeburn Elementary School. (Thanks Suzanne for setting it up.) I started off with my powerpoint presentation for the K-1 crew in the cafeteria. No microphone for that one, but they were sooooo good, I didn't even need one. Then I went to three first grade classrooms and taught them how to make collage ninjas.

I never tire of this activity because the students always come up with awesome ways to make ninjas.

Someone finally gave glasses ninja (a.k.a Jun) some love.

And this one is great because it has Master Zutsu in it.

See, he's in the corner.

I was weary of doing a cutting activity with first graders - but they did a fantastic job.

I finished the day off with a longer PP presentation for grades 3 - 5. I don't go into selling a manuscript, revision, or rejection for the little ones - but I think they are good things to know for the older set.

I also shared the story for the next book, Wink! The Ninja Who Wanted To Nap. (Coming in Spring 2011.) When the kids hear there's going to be another Wink book, they like to pitch me title ideas for a third installment. I heard Wink! the Ninja Who Wants to be Silly, Wink! The Ninja Who Wants To Be a Clown, and Wink! The Ninja Who Wants to Fight. :)

I had a blast - as I always do. Thanks so much Braeburn School!!!

Next post: contest!!!

2 comments:

ang said...

That looked fun.
The ninja who wanted to fight.
How about the ninja who wanted to eat snacks and watch LOST?

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, LOVE the photo! What fabulous art the kids made!