Monday, April 19, 2010

Post 500 = Contest!


I started this blog in November 2007. I based it on a couple of blogs I really enjoyed that mixed day-to-day family life with arts and crafts. Recently I've wondered if I shouldn't lean to a more professional, picture book style; talking more about work than family. Then I figured, Nah, it's my friggin' blog and I can do what I want.

So I will stick with a little bit journal, a little bit family, a little bit craft, and a little bit work.

It's what I like to do. It's what I like to blog about And, if you like reading it, you will. Easy Peasy.

CONTEST TIME!

In honor of my 500th post, I propose this contest. You, your kids, or whomever submit a line, a rhyming couplet, or a haiku. The one I like the best, I will illustrate and send to you. The winner will be chosen simply by being the idea that is most inspiring to me.

It can be a silly idea or a beautiful one. It can be one word. Anything you want. And you can submit as many as you want.

I'll close the submissions Saturday morning, April 24th, and choose what I want to work on. When I'm done with the art (8 X 10" ish in size) I'll post it.

OK. Is that clear? (I want to give credit to the blog Chicken Nugget Lemon Tooty for the idea.)

Lay 'em on me, baby.


16 comments:

ang said...

500 posts! Wow! Congrats!
A rhyme hmmm. Very clever.
I really like Ninja Woman. It's awesome and you can do whatever you want. I think you've got it just right.

Tracy said...

Is it against the rules for me to enter?? :)

spring is the color
of a crispy dill pickle
your mouth goes ohhhhh!

-

Joan said...

What a fun idea for a contest! Happy 500th! Here's a couplet for you (not by me). I might sign on again later if I can come up with something original :)

Days that begin like zebras running away
are ones we are not likely to forget.
--David Westendorp

Susie Sawyer said...

Sweet little Sue
saw the size of her shoe,
and never again did she wonder.
For that's when she knew
she'd have been six-foot-two
if half of her wasn't bent under.

Thanks for this contest! Fun!

Susie Sawyer
www.susiesawyer.com

M said...

Happy 500!

saltwater taffy

Julie_c said...

Oh goody, goody. What interesting ideas!

Joan said...

OK, I have an entry by me this time--hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting twice (if so, choose the one you like best and disregard the other) :D

In my dreams I’m soaring on a star,
Shearing through the dark to where you are.

ang said...

Sea, sea, I love the dance of the
sea, sea, swimming so fearless and
free, free

Sweet Honey in The Rock- "Nature Song"

Yeah I yanked it and I think I might yank something else too ;-)

Julie_c said...

Entry from SUSAN via my email:

ALL THE FLOWERS
OF ALL THE TOMORROWS
ARE IN THE SEEDS OF TODAY
-Indian Proverb

Joan said...

Here is an entry from my daughter, written by her:

Hello, hello, today's the day
When gray old tomcats come to play
They come, they come by packs of three
C'mon and feed them bread and tea

Natalie said...

Oooh! The fact that it doesn't have to me mine has now freed me to participate. ;-)

This is a haiku that my friend Liz Garton Scanlon wrote when she saw her daughter playing outside:

she walks on her hands
through dirt and clover and dew
her feet touch the sky

Liz is awesome. In fact, she's writing a haiku each day this month for National Poetry month on her blog: http://liz-scanlon.livejournal.com/

If this poem wins, I'll definitely send her your illustration, Julie. She'd love it.

Thanks for holding the contest, and congratlations on the 500th post!

Diana Murray said...

What a fun contest. I love your illustrations!


Here is a haiku:

On snow-white pages
black letters sprinkled like seeds
flowering imagination


And here is an excerpt of a poem written by my four-year-old daughter:

PUMPKIN SONG

Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin, celery,
Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin, celery,
Witcha witcha, witcha, witch,
Pumpkin, pumpkin scared a witch,
Pumpkins, pumpkins everywhere
Pumpkins even in your hair,
Pumpkins, pumpkins, we all match.


(not sure if she heard parts of it somewhere? Probably at school.)

Heather said...

Different Aliens #43

by Owen

Heather said...

or, the even more exciting: Different Aliens #42.

also by Owen

Sheri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie_c said...

OK. The contest is now closed. Thanks so much for all the entries. I have some difficult work ahead of me now.