Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Writing/Rewriting



I've been really busy writing and re-writing two picture book texts that I hope to pitch to my editor next week.

I thought they were in good shape.
My agent assured me otherwise.

Sometimes when I write a story, point A leads to point B. That's good, so then point B leads to point C. And so on until point Z. It all makes perfect sense to the me, so - it stands to reason - it all makes perfect sense to everyone else.

But an alphabet is a line. Point Z never leads back to point A. It's faaaaar from point A.

A good picture book should be closer to a running track. You start, the story moves forward, you finish. But the finish line is in relation to the starting point.

I didn't exactly nail that part.

It may sound easy, but it's harder then you think. I've been ripping lines out, rearranging lines, and trashing whole segments. I've been composing five word sentences that sum up the idea of the whole book. It's a little mind-numbing. But ultimately good, because the hard lessons I'm now learning from scrapping months of work will help to make my next story stronger.

At least I hope.







9 comments:

Äiti said...

Good luck! You have a stash of something 'encouraging' close at hand to help the process along...right? :-)

Chicklebee said...

You can do it Duffy!!!

Julie_c said...

If you mean chocolate. I ate my stash promptly after my agent pointed out the many, many flaws in my stories. :) Now I'm just running on optimism.

Julie_c said...

Duffy?

ang said...

Don't you love it when you write something awesome and then someone decides it's not-the nerve. Writing is never easy, but you will do it! I know you can. I am sure that the drafts you have now are already in better shape that most of the stuff that's out there.

Yeah who is 'Duffy'?

Buzz de Cafe said...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290131/

DennyMa said...

知足常樂~~有這麼好的文章,人生足矣~~哈哈........................................

Joan said...

Writing picture books is its own special kind of agony. The good thing is: once it works, it really works. You can do it!!

Kjersten said...

I like that track metaphor. I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm working on endings.