Monday, June 21, 2010

Yeast-Free Mini-Bagels

I'm not sure how I got to the page, but I found a recipe for yeast-free gluten-free mini bagels. Mmmmmmm - bagels. I hadn't thought of making bagels before. Today I had a little time and since Maggo's two buddies O&G were over, and they happen to bring their own bagels, I thought it was the perfect time to try out this new recipe.

(Now I did make a few changes from the original recipe. I used 2 cups of Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free flour blend instead of all the different flours, and I used honey in the water instead of molasses.)

Here are a few bagels being poached.



Mmmmm - nothing says yummy like soggy bread! :)

And here they are ready to go in the over. I sprinkled them with salt and sesame seeds.


They puffed up nicely, just like most things do. Only in the world of yeast-free gluten-free baking, they collapsed quite a bit. The color was good and I'm sure Magoo will like them because he rarely gets anything like this - but I have to admit they are under-baked. If I make them again I'm going to give them 13 minutes on each side.


Otherwise I think they turned out pretty good.

5 comments:

Ă„iti said...

These look great!!

ang said...

Hey those look tasty! I think they are a success!

Chicklebee said...

Mmmmmmm...... those look yummy!!! Ya gonna post the recipe? Or are you just taunting us.....

Julie_c said...

There's a link to the recipe in the post, dork! :)

Gluten Free Sourdough Baker said...

HI Julie,
Your bagels look good. I really like your website, I loved the tour through your studio, and congratulations to your for your book, Ninja Woman. Your goldfish and flower watercolors are breathtaking.

Anyway, gluten free yeast free...I have developed a gluten free sourdough bread technique and recipes that are also free of yeast, dairy, eggs and soy.

The technique takes a little time to master but is well worth it in the end. Tasty, substantial breads without the heavy density of many gf breads. The ingredients are all pure food ingredients, good for sensitive digestions.

I teach bread baking class in Eastern Mass and sell my book in PDF format so far, from my website.

Here is a link to my free starter recipe download to see if the technique is right for you:
http://www.sanctuary-healing.com/food-recipes.html

Good luck with your ongoing successes!
sharon a. kane
www.food-medicine.com
glutenfreesourdough.blogspot.com