Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Embroidery Projects

Ta-da! I made pillows! Naturally, having a new couch meant I needed new pillows. Actually, when I was at Pottery Barn shopping for my couch I saw some embroidered pillows that I liked and thought (as I often do) 'I can make those!'

So when summer swimming lessons took place, I sat with my needlework. When Magoo plays after school on the playground, I sit with my needlework. When I go to a friend's house to chat for an afternoon, I bring my needlework. And now, as I sit for 75 minutes in the waiting room while Magoo takes gymnastics, I do my needlework.

I love having a portable craft. And I love being able to produce something during a time when I would normally just sit. (Especially in waiting rooms.)

So when the pillows were done, I knew I'd need another project. I decided on a quilt for Magoo. The goal is to embroider insects and build patchwork squares up around them.

I finished a dragonfly and am nearing completion on a spider. (I think I'll add a web in the background.)


Here are the main fabrics. They are all Joel Dewberry designs. I need to get out to JoAnns and buy some solids.

I don't know how long this will take. I imagine building up the squares won't be so bad - mustering up the follow-through will be the trick. I have made one quilt before and it's the actual piecing and quilting that gives me little pleasure. But if Magoo is excited about it (and so far he is) then I know I'll get it done.

Hmmmm - maybe for Christmas?

2 comments:

Ă„iti said...

Gorgeous! The pillows look so great on the new couch and the quilt looks like it will be amazing. The Joel Dewberry designs are really cool.

Angela said...

I love it! Those pillows are awesome, and the insects are beautiful! So many times I see something and I think I can make that and for less than the $50 or more the store is asking. Where did you find/hear of Joel Dewberry? Those fabrics are cool!