Friday, October 1, 2010

Pendants

I like to add new items to my Open Studio Weekend inventory from time to time. A few years ago I started making t-shirts and those went over well. This year I'm adding jewelry.


A few years ago I got into beading a bit - but I never felt like I could just do a little jewelry stand along with my collage & watercolor art. It would be like a game of "One of these things is not like the other" - yanno? But this summer at West Hartford's big art fair an artist had made mini copies of her work and applied them to pieces of cardboard which she covered in resin and made into jewelry.

What a great idea!

It took me awhile to find the kind of resin that one would use to do small pieces like this. If you google "resin" you get all sorts of heavy duty stuff. But as I was flipping through craft books in B&N I found a craft that used resin and I wrote down the brand - ICE resin - and I was on my way.

Then I bought bezels (the "frames"), and made a few test pendants. They came out well so when they were throughly dried, I went to Michael's, bought some chains and findings, and made my first batch of necklaces.

Here's a close-up of The Crow and The Pitcher.


And here's Solitary Goldfish.


I'll have about 10 necklaces in total and I just bought a couple stands to display them. I'm pretty excited about the new additions. I hope they sell. Now I just have to figure out how to price them - I guess I'll do a little research on Etsy.


5 comments:

Angela said...

I think they are absolutely beautiful Julie! I love making jewelry too, though you would never know it because I never get a chance to do it. Those are awesome and I would be super surprised if they didn't sell out!
Ang

Robin said...

These are gorgeous! You are super talented, lady!

Jessica Franz said...

LOVE the necklaces!!!! They will sell like hot cakes. When is the art show?

Imene said...

I really love the one with the goldfish!!

cynjay said...

I LOVE these! Please, please, please put them in an Etsy store for the rest of us!