Thursday, December 16, 2010

Holiday Crafting: Family Mastryoshka


I don't know how I came up with the idea (I probably saw something) but I got it into my head that it would be really fun to make matryoshka portraits of ourselves. This thought was so clear to me that I also knew I would need to burn the outlines into the wood - rather than just paint it on. I don't know why I thought this - I just did.

So I ordered some matryoshkas here. And a wood burner here. (Note: I'm not saying you NEED to burn the wood, but I did. You could use a Sharpie.)

I sketched everything out first - and let me tell ya - when the biggest doll is only 4" tall - that's not an easy job! Then I got a spare piece of wood and practiced a bit with the wood burning tool. Then I got to work.

I confess, the lines aren't perfect - but I'm pleased with the outcome.

I didn't want the colors to be too bright. I wanted to let the grain of the wood show through so I stained them with watercolor. (Just don't paint too wet or the colors will bleed.)

Here's the final result.



Mike has his bike and riding jersey.
I have a pair of scissors and a little Wink.
Magoo has a Lego rocket.
Then there's Java.
And I had one teeny one left, so Magoo suggested I made a mouse.

TA DA!

2 comments:

Heather said...

love, love, love

Angela said...

I love those! Wood burning! How cool!