Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Art Class: Emotions


I am trying to lay down a good drawing foundation with the boys before we proceed to other mediums. And since I bought them blank comic books (for future use) - I want to make sure they have the ability to draw people doing and feeling all sorts of things. So this week we worked on illustrating emotions.

If you want to do this at home, pick up some Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems. He's a genius at showing a wide range of emotions with the minimal pencil lines.

The boys and I worked through nine different emotions - paying attention to eyebrows, pupil sizes, eyelids, and mouths.


They all seemed to really enjoy these short exercises. The face shapes were very simple and I think they liked seeing the difference a silly eyebrow arch can make.


Then we applied the emotions to different creatures.

A surprised mouse by Curly, an angry cat by Magoo and a bored insect by Mo.


I think maybe the mouse is surprised by how angry the cat is. And if you look closely you'll notice the cat is holding something - a soda. Apparently it's gone flat.


1 comment:

Angela said...

I love those facial expressions. I think Mo Willems is excellent too. I think my favorite for all-time showing emotion ability are the Looney Tune directors and animators. The characters' faces just crack me up!