Monday, January 31, 2011

BIRD STUDIES: Week #2

My practice of birds continues. I was slightly less successful in that I only painted three days last week. But, hey, three is better than two.

Here's what I did.

This is a Grey-Backed Thrush.

I'm pretty happy with how the colors turned out. I'm getting better with my dry brush technique after I've finished with the wet. I'm still not in love with the eyes - although I have to admit that they look like the examples I'm studying from. I may have to develop my own style there. I'm not 100% happy with the branch, but it's OK. If I were grading it, I'd give it a B.

Grey-Throated Minivet

Yeeeeah. Not loving it. It's OK I guess but this one just doesn't appeal to me. I do like the shape of the beak but the rest of it just seems sloppy.

Formosan Barwigs


I got a little frustrated after the last one so I tried to be very careful with this pair. I paid close attention to their shapes - to the color bleeds - and to the drybrushing. And I'm happy to say that I LOVE this one.

Yanno, painting birds in this loose style ... well, sometimes it's just going to flop. And I have to remind myself that this is a completely new style for me. But when it works - oh man, it's really lovely. They're nice and light, just like a bird should be.

So I carry on ...

In other news: More snow tomorrow! Then Ice! On the news today they said that Connecticut had more snow than Alaska. I think we're all kinda sick of it now - but the sledding is still awesome!

15 comments:

Angela said...

What are you talking about?! I loved those birds. Do the birds look angry or brainwashed to you or something? ;)

Julie_c said...

You know I'm just being critical of my progress. Hey - can you bring the next Wire tonight?

Heather said...

maybe an owl might make an apparance...?

Heather said...

btw--angela and ms. j--ladies night at my place over feb break?

Imene said...

I love those birds. I just found your blog and I ordered your book on amazon. I love the graphism!

Chicklebee said...

You should start painting herbs....like.... DILLWEED!!!

Chicklebee said...

Julie, have you been playing Angry Birds!?!?!?!

Julie_c said...

Heather - maybe an owl will. Hmmm? And YES to feb break - shoot me a date.

Imene - Thanks so much for visiting! I hope you like the book.

Chicklebee - Being technologically behind - I don't have those apps/games on my phone - but I have seen Angry Birds. They sure are Angry!

PS - I'll get a Dillweed painting right out to you!

Angela said...

Hey Heather:
A lady get-together sounds awesome to me!

Susan Gurry said...

Julie, I also love those birds. And I love your blog. BTW, I am a friend of Shirley S. That's how I found you! Me, I do a little sewing/quilting now that my kids are all grown up. Wondering if I should try making clothes again like I did when I was in high school/college!

I have a blog, but it's about autism:

www.autismthought.com

Julie_c said...

Hi Susan -
First off - I thank you and my birds than you.
Second - I knew your were one of Shirl's peeps. I see you over in the comments section over there. I know Shirley used to work with autistic kiddos - is that how you know her?

Robin said...

I'm loving the birds and this batch especially makes me think of an animation style, can't put my finger on it, but if you told me these were stills I would believe you. I almost expect the first bird to talk!

Julie_c said...

Thanks Robin. I'm not sure I know the illustration style you're speaking of - but I bet the first bird is saying, "Helloooo Robin!"

Robin said...

When I find an example of the style I will send a link, it is driving me nuts.

In the meantime, start painting more birds, you will make a fortune! Look at this post from the NY Gift Show, BIRDS ARE HOT HOT HOT!

http://habituallychic.blogspot.com/2011/02/nyigf-2011-for-birds.html

Julie_c said...

Ooooh - thanks for the link. I'd better start pumping them out! :)