Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tomie DePaola Illustration Award

About a month ago, I entered a contest. It was the Tomie dePaola Illustration Contest through the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators.

The assignment was to illustrate a passage from the book Heidi which was provided for us. It was an early passage, basically introducing the landscape and the fact that a little girl, Heidi, was being dragged up the mountain by her aunt. She was wearing every stitch of clothing she owned and was hot and tired.

Somehow I got it into my head that it would be cool if I put the landscape in Heidi's coat. I guess I wanted her to stand out more than her surroundings. So I cut the pieces out of paper and sewed them on with embroidery floss. That took a little time ...


... but I was loving the results so I kept at it.

Well, it paid off. I didn't win, but I got an Honorable Mention and that's none too shabby. And, BONUS, Tomie DePaola saw my work! That is pretty darn cool.

Here's the link for the contest winners.

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Ooo! It's really cool! I love the landscape in her coat. Beautiful!

Ă„iti said...

So cool! Congratulations!!!

Angela said...

oh my gosh! Congratulations! That is super awesome! I love that illustration and the landscape. The landscape/environment is really a huge part of Heidi! I love it, congratulations!!

Angela said...

Oh and I love what he wrote about your awesome piece!!

Julie_c said...

Thanks guys - I'm totally psyched!

Natalie said...

This is HUGE! Tomie de Paola! Lucky him to have discovered your work. :-)