Sunday, April 17, 2011

BumbleBug Art


On Saturday I had a lovely morning at the BumbleBug Art Studio in West Hartford Center. Miss Olivia - the lovely owner and artist extraordinaire - invited me in to read both Wink books, talk a bit to the kiddos, and teach a panda collage project.

I'm very used to elementary school kids by this time - but little ones can be a challenge. It's easy to lose their focus and man, they're not shy about letting you know they are bored. But I think we all did pretty well. I don't want to toot my own horn - but I'm a pretty dramatic reader. (It's nice that I'm getting some use out of my theater degree since I'll be paying that it off until I'm 67.)

When story time was over, the kids got their seats and art supplies and we made pandas.


I'd only done this panda project once before with Magoo as my guinea pig. I am terrible at leading art projects for very young artists b/c it's difficult for me to know what the skill level is and to plan accordingly. I worried that they'd have a hard time tearing the paper into ovals and circles - but there were enough parents and helpers around and the kids did a great job!

Here's a panda - mid-way through the process.


Here's a bunch more. Aren't they so cute?!


And here's my buddy, K, with her super sassy Panda Princess!


Thanks so much to Olivia for having me in and for all the families who came out, made a panda, and bought a book! And if you have a young artist at home and you're in the West Hartford area - check out BumbleBug Art. The studio is colorful and fun and the staff is LOVELY!



2 comments:

Angela said...

That looks great! You had a nice sized audience!

Julie_c said...

It was perfect for the space!