Thursday, May 19, 2011

Busy Crafting


I've completed a couple craft projects recently that I'd like to share. The first is a over-the-shoulder monk's bag.

I needed a bag that was big enough to carry odd-shaped things: like food containers. But not as bulky as a backpack. I wanted something that I could sling across my body so I could be hands-free - but wouldn't dig into my shoulder. I was looking online for something and found a little bag that I liked on Amazon - but then I thought I can probably make one. And I found this pattern on PurlBee.

Now, I wanted a few pockets. What if I want to carry some cash or an ID? I can't have something like that just flopping around - so I put in an internal zipper pocket.


And I also included a buttoned pocket on the outside front - for a sketchbook or whatnot. For the most part I like a big open bag, but I like to know - specifically - where a few things are.

The strap is wide and, doubled-over, it's quite soft and thick. So if I end up carrying a heavy load - it should still be quite comfortable. I haven't used it yet, but the time is a-coming.

I also finished a knitting project this week. It's called the Sunset Highway Scarf and it's a free pattern I got on Ravelry.


If you're a knitter and not on Ravelry I really don't know why. It's an AWESOME resource. For example, I was at a knitter's tag sale and she was having a major de-stash. There were tons of fabulous skeins of yarn. I bought 2 skeins of this lovely worsted weight, cotton/silk combo. So then I went on Ravelry, typed in the yarn and how much I bought, and got a list of all the projects I could make. How great is that? Boom - I'm already onto my next project.

But back to this scarf. I knit this with Malabrigo Rio yarn. SOOOOO soft and great to work with. I will definitely use this brand again. This is a simple pattern of only knits and purls and once the pattern is established, it's easy to knit and chat and chat and knit. (Which is how I like to roll.)


Im not saying who this is for - I'm saving it. But I think it will feel good around their neck. At least I hope so.

In other news:
Just finished Disc 1 of AMC's The Walking Dead. LOVE IT! Technically, it's a zombie show. But it's not about the zombies. It's about the strong characters. The zombies are a circumstance. Love the actors. Love the writing. And whoever does the zombie make-up should get an award. Lovely zombies!

Happy Thursday everyone. I hope it's dry where you are because it isn't here.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I knew you'd get to the awesome yarn! I really wish I had hit that de-stashing sale with you!
Awesome scarf and I love the bag. Hey how long did it take you to knit the scarf and make the bag?

Julie_c said...

It took me a month to knit the scarf - but I'm not a power knitter at all. I do a little bit here and a little bit there. The bag probably took 3 hours. I spread that over three nights.