Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Crafting: Magnets

I like to give homemade gifts for Mother's Day. Why?

One, I'm cheap and I give gifts to three mothers.
Two, it's just nicer, I think. It says, "I took some time to make something special and individual for you." And isn't that what Mother's Day is all about? Taking some time to do something nice for someone who has always done nice things for you.
Three, I like to make things.

So when I saw these at How About Orange and these at Abrosia Girl - I knew I wanted to make my own Polaroid Magnets!

I basically followed the directions above, except I didn't like the results of the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. It dried hazy and I couldn't see any detail...


... which is a shame because it spread beautifully. Still, I was not satisfied, so I decided to use some resin which I had on hand from my brief foray into jewelry making. Only the resin didn't want to cooperate at all. It either wouldn't cover to the edges (pool int he middle) or it would spill over.

Then I got it in my head that if I wrapped tape around the edges of the magnets I would create a makeshift mold to contain the resin.


It worked ... in theory. But sometimes the tape wouldn't hold and then the resin would seep out and all sorts of other issues.

Long story short - this was a pain-in-the- *** project and they didn't turn out as polished as I would have liked.

But they're OK, so I gave them out anyway. They're kinda more of a it's the thought that counts project.

The finished product on the fridge.





6 comments:

Mod Podge Amy said...

Hi Julie - cute magnets! Was the printout inkjet? Because if so, that's why DM smeared it. :( It doesn't smear laserjet (usually). I like them!

Julie_c said...

Hi Amy -

It was inkjet! Maybe I'll try using it again on something pre-printed. Or is there something I can use to cover the inkjet paper first, to prep it for the DM? I often like to use my own art or photos on projects like this.

Thanks for the tip!

Angela said...

Those are cool. I even like the hazy one. It's kind of like you've been in the pool too much and your sight is all blurry.

Courtney said...

Maybe try an ice cube tray for the polaroid mold, instead of tape...?

Ashley Quam said...

what kind of resin did you useeeeeeee?

Julie_c said...

Hi Ashley - gosh - this was so long ago. I know I got the stuff at Michaels and that it came in two bottles. It would have been a smallish sized kit. I'm afraid I no longer have it as I haven't worked with resin since. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck with your project though!