Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reading is Fashionable Interview

Are there burning questions you wanted to ask me? Maybe FiFi did it for you!
Here's a taste of an interview I did over at the Reading Is Fashionable blog.

Tell us your latest news?

I'm currently doing some school visits and book store appearances for the 2nd ninja book, Wink, The Ninja Who Wanted to Be Noticed. I have a third book that is in contract negotiations right now. With the new technology (eBooks, Apps, etc.) there's a lot of new territory for my agent to sort through. But hopefully they'll (my agent, Scott Treimel and Penguin) will figure it out soon so I can get moving on the book.

When and why did you begin writing?

I've been an artist all my life. That part was easy. I only decided to try picture books after grad school when I was teaching Kindergartners at an after-school program and reading a lot of kidlit. Most of my education is in theater and playwriting. I figured merging the dramatic aspect of theater with my visual art skills would be a nice combo for picture books.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I'm still working with the title "writer." It's kinda like fitting into my skinny jeans. Some days the term fits better than others. I never studied formal writing. Just playwriting. I've had to self-teach a lot of writing technique over the years. I still struggle with plot. I'm reading a book on plot right now. But I've been a an artist all my life. I drew well from a very early age and it was always a in which way I've identified myself.

Want to know more? Check it out here. And a great big THANK YOU to Fifi Flowers for the awesome interview!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Very nice interview, a nice reminder I need to get yours up!