Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Origami Cranes for Japan


One of the other mothers at my son's school, Mami, is from Japan. As you can imagine, the tsunami greatly upset her and she's been doing everything can think of to try to help. She recently had the idea to have the second graders (her eldest is in 2nd grade with Magoo) make origami cranes & swans and she plans to sell them for a dollar a piece to raise funds for an elementary school in Japan. (She and her son are going to visit in July.)

When she ran this idea by me, I volunteered to jazz some of them up and make little ornaments out of them. Then she can sell those for two dollars. So I strung them up and added beads. I think they look great! And I grabbed some branches from the backyard for a "display."

Isn't that green vase nice? I just got that a a tag sale last weekend!


I like the look for this so much that when my vase and branches come back to me all empty - I might make a paper crane tree of my very own to keep in my living room. Maybe Magoo can help me fold some cranes.

In the meantime, if you're around Whiting Lane School, Mami will be selling plain cranes for $1 and beaded cranes for $2 after school for the next week.

In other news:

I have to go to the dentist today. Boooooo. I will be getting either a filling or a crown. Boooooo. I spent a restless night dreaming of being in the chair.

"Is it safe?"

"Is it safe?'

If you don't know what I'm talking about, see Marathon Man.

1 comment:

Ă„iti said...

Very nice! Good luck at the dentist...