Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Whole Lotta Baking Goin' On

Remember that bakery I mentioned last week, Babycakes NYC? And remember how I told you I got the Babycakes cookbook by Erin McKenna? Well, I couldn't make the cupcakes right away because I needed a few ingredients, but I could make the lemon-poppy teacake!


It's not the best photo because A.) I snapped it right before we were all going to eat it and I didn't "dress" the photo at all with a pretty plate and all that jazz, and B.) There was too much batter and it baked over the sides of the pan! So it's not as pretty as it ought to be. (I was pretty sure when I poured the batter in nearly to the top that there was going to be an issue. But when I make something for the first time, I try to follow the directions as closely as possible. Next time, I will either use an 8X8" cake pan or pour some extra batter in a few muffin tins. It's always good to have a few extra muffins!) But worry not - Magoo and I ate all the cake that had rolled over the sides and baked on the outer rim. Yum, yum, yum.

And it was YUM YUM YUM! I will definitely make this again! Lovely.

Yesterday I got up early to make Magoo a Gingerbread cake. I even made frosting.


This recipe even suggested that you pour some of the batter off into muffin tins. If I had made this one first, I probably would have figured that out about the lemon-poppy teacake but - oh well.

The muffins were great!!!

There's pumpkin puree in these and I could certainly taste it. I LOVE pumpkin - so the cake was all the better for the addition. Mike is more of a gingerbread purest, he thought the taste was a little mild.

I am psyched that I finally have a frosting recipe in my repetoire. Sugar-free frosting is a toughie. I made the vanilla frosting, but because we can only use alcohol-free vanilla extract (which is milder than the regular kind) the taste of the vanilla is softer than the taste of the coconut oil, so it's more like a coconut frosting. Still yum though.

Next up: Icebox cake!!!

I just want to send a SHOUT OUT to the good folks at BABYCAKES NYC. I am now a huge fan of this store & company. Thank you for making awesome treats and thank you for putting them in a book so that those of us who have to bake with restrictions can provide healthy, yummy treats for our loved ones and ourselves!

YOU ROCK!!

3 comments:

Ă„iti said...

Very cool. I'm going to see if the library has a copy of this book.

Have you seen powdered vanilla at WF? Not sure if Magoo can have it, but it's an alternative form of vanilla we have used from time to time.

Angela said...

That is a whole lotta baking. I admire you for it!

Julie_c said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Shirley. I'll try to see if our WF has powdered vanilla.