Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I Am the Grill Queen

I'd been wanting a grill for a little while.

What I really wanted was a husband who'd grill. But I married Mike and he doesn't want to grill. So I had to think, Do I really want a grill if I have to all the grilling?

I should probably mention, in addition to being fairly cheap and not wanting to drop a wad on a good grill, I'm also a little fearful of open flames. Perhaps you will recall this. But we have a small house and it's difficult to have people over, so I thought a grill might open us up to summertime entertaining a bit more.

To buy a grill or not to buy a grill?

Then fate took control and a grill was given to me by a neighbor who was moving away.

May I present, for the first time ever, MY GRILL .....


It's a Charmglow 3-burner propane grill. I had to buy new heat distribution plates and fill the propane tank, but then it was ready to roll.

I also bought stainless steel grill sheets.

Those are nice because A.) we don't want to eat the crud (metals etc.) from the grill rack and B.) they're easy to take into the sink and clean.

The first night I made Easy Grilled Tri Tip from a recipe I got online here. (Although Trader Joes didn't have tri tip so I just got some sirloin.) Yum.


The following night I made Ginger-Lemongrass Chicken with Cilantro Rice Noodles. Yummy. Yum. Yum.


That recipe was from the fabulous book Grill It! from Better Homes and Gardens which I got at Border's 40% off with a coupon. Thank you very much.

You see, when I don't know about something - like grilling - I need to do a lot of reading on it so I don't make stupid mistakes. This is a great big cookbook full of useful basic information and lots of great recipes. I'm totally psyched! This recipe called for a rub. I'd never made a rub before!

So, after two successful grilling adventures, I feel I am getting a grip on it and am prematurely crowning myself The Grill Queen. At least of my house. :)

2 comments:

Ă„iti said...

That's great!

Angela said...

Oh you are the grill queen! I must say that grill is fantasgreat too!