Thursday, September 1, 2011

First Day of Third Grade


I'm not a sentimental person. I'm really not. But lately I've been going through some of the photo albums and looking back on when my little boy was actually little, and now, putting together this progression of first day photos (kindergarten, first, second, and third) it's hard not to get a little misty.

First days are always a mix of excitement and nerves.

Whenever we would ask Magoo if he was excited about starting school, he'd say, "Yes!" But yesterday (before the open house) I heard him talking to his buddy Mo, confessing that he was scared to meet his teacher. Mo was very sweet, saying that he shouldn't be scared. Ms. Paradis (Magoo's teacher) is really nice.

We went in to meet her and see the classroom for a few minutes and Magoo was courteous, maybe a little shy, but happy and chatty and told her about a book he had just read. She seems great, BTW. I don't really know her at all, but everyone says she's fantastic. The vibe was good.

This morning, we got our act together with plenty of time for the mandatory photos. Then we headed out. As we were walking, Magoo seems upbeat. He even flashed my this third grade smile:


At the front lawn at school, the nerves kicked in.

One of his best buddies is in his class this year. But he wasn't there yet. Magoo was brave. He stood in line with the other children. He clearly wasn't the only child feeling somewhat unsettled. I gave him a quick kiss (something he still allows me to do in public) and backed off to the parent section. He stood like a statue for a loooong time.

Then his teacher came out, shook everyone's hand, and had a little chat with each one.


I could see him loosen up after that.

The principal gave her first day of school speech, then all the students followed there teachers inside.

And that's that.

Now he has to adjust to his student lifestyle and I have to adjust to my author/artist lifestyle, which I am sure we will both do just fine.

Hope all my Whiting Lane Mom friends had smooth mornings and hope everyone else is having a great day!

1 comment:

Angela said...

I think that statue stance is de riguer on the first day of school. Glad things went well!