Friday, September 2, 2011

Herd of Cranes


Now that Magoo is back to school, (his first day went really well, BTW,) it's time for me to turn my focus to the November art show.

I've done plenty of watercolors this year, but what I've been struggling with is a theme for the collage portion. Last year I did Fables. One year I did Recreation Dogs. One year I did Cats in Art. I don't have to have a theme, of course. But I like to.

I'd been making lists. I could have done more fables. Those are always fun. I thought about Greek Myths. I thought about just doing straight up animals. Then it came to me.

Duh! Birds.

But not only birds - bird collectives. Then I get to use those super fun names: a parliament of owl, a murder of crows. I LOVE those!

Also, now I can a bird collage into the Group Show which has a theme of Double Digits this year.

My first piece (above) is a Herd of Cranes.

I wanted something quiet, something where the repetitive shape of the crane would be calm and soothing.

I'm not entirely sure who the audience for the bird collages will be. I thought the fables would go like hotcakes last year, and I probably sold only 60% of them. The main thing is that I'm producing art that I'm excited about and hopefully other people will be too. And I certainly am happy with this piece. It's exactly how I pictured it. And I'm psyched to be excited and inspired to produce more.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

More birds next week.


1 comment:

Angela said...

So awesome Julie! I know that show is around the corner. Hey are you submitting for ArtWalk this year. I am although I am clueless about the process!
Glad Magoo's first day went well!