Friday, September 23, 2011

Honey Thumbprint Cookies


We were in need of cookies!

All the oatmeal cookies had been eaten and the last store-bought ginger cookie went out in Magoo's lunchbox.  I didn't feel like going to the store and spending $4 on a box of 5 cookies (that's how much cookies cost when your boy can't eat gluten, sugar, dairy, nuts, yeast, etc.) so I decided to go through my cookbooks and online.  What I found was a recipe for Old Fashioned German Honey Cookies.  Of course, I can't really make them like that.  I have to adapt.  I have to substitute.  I have to experiment.

And there was SUCCESS!



Here's my Magoo Friendly Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Casein-Free Recipe.

HONEY THUMBPRINT COOKIES


1 ½ cup vegan butter
1 ½ cup honey
2 eggs
1 tsp alcohol-free vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
4 cup GF flour
2 tsp xantham gum
carob chips
coconut milk


  • in a small saucepan, melt honey and butter. Cool.
  • In another bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg together.
  • preheat oven to 350.
  • add honey mix to egg mix.
  • mix flour and xantham gum. Add flour mix to honey mix, slowly, combine.
  • drop teasppons of batter on cookie sheets. Bake 9 minutes (rotate sheets at 4 minutes if baking more than 1)
  • while dough is warm, make indentions with thumb. Then move cookies to cooling rack.
  • heat bowl of carob chips (about 1 cup - I didn't measure) in microwave, 1 minute. Add a bit of coconut milk. Stir. Spoon into center of cookies.

ENJOY!

No comments: