Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Murder of Crows


You know I love me some crows, right?

My favorite collective names for birds are a murder of crows and a parliament of owls.  Well, maybe they are my favorites or maybe they are simply the ones I can remember.  But a murder of crows...how perfect is that?!

I thought it would be kind of cool to have a small splash of red blood somewhere in there, but I had to consider the audience.  If I did that it probably wouldn't sell.

This collage is 11 X 14".  I painted the crows' paper myself so it's not straight black - it's a mix of purples, deep blues, greens, and payne's grey.  I would have loved to make this really big.  But, once again, if it was huge it probably wouldn't sell.

Over the years I have learned a bit about what this Open Studio customer base is like.  You can make a big, expensive watercolor.  But not a big, expensive collage.  It's wise not to price any collage above $150 and that's even a stretch.  $125 - $75 is the goal for a decent sized collage.

This one will hang in the group show under the Double Digits theme.  Twenty crows - that qualifies.

I think it's going to look pretty sharp when I slap a crisp white mat and a black frame on it.  Oooo yeah.

But, most of all, I think it will represent what the rest of my collection is about this year.  My goal for the group show is to hang a piece in gallery that people will remember.  Then, when they make it to my space upstairs - they will recognize the style/subject matter and say, "Oh, she did the crows downstairs."

Maybe they'll buy something or maybe they won't - but having that moment of recollection connects them to the art.

Besides, I plan to have some lovely $1 postcards available this year, so hopefully people will be able to take a little something home with them.


4 comments:

Äiti said...

Beautiful!

Heather said...

OMG--Owls? I seriously want the original on that one. I'm saving my pennies...

Angela said...

I love it! I actually would like a little bit of blood but then that's me and I certainly don't have any money. ;)
Postcards rule! People love those!

mh said...

Crows are a favorite of mine, ravens in particular. Mostly from native american tales. As for the blood, I wonder if a field of bright red poppies might substitute for the splash of blood. . . or maybe just one! mmm. This bird series is completely awesome!