Monday, September 26, 2011

The (Not So) Itsy Bitsy Spider


It's spider season 'round these here parts.  It's not at all uncommon to see new webs on windows, off lamp posts, beneath the mailbox - anywhere really.  

One morning I opened Magoo's shade to find an EMORMOUS spider wrapping her dead mate (perhaps?) in a coccoon.  I called Magoo over and rushed to get my camera.

 Here's some video.  You can really see her pulled the webbing out of her abdomen.  Pretty cool.
(I have tried twice to upload the video but blogger isn't having any of it.  Sorry.  It was cool.)

I shot another video of her pulling her prey out of the web and moving him.  I don't think she liked us spying on her.  Then I went on the internet to look up "egg sacks" because that giant thing on her abdomen concerned me.  I actually like spiders, but I don't want hundreds of baby ones hatching outside my son's bedroom - no thanks.

Based on the pics I pulled up, it did look like she had an egg sack going.  So, and I'm not proud of this, I got a big stick and flung her from the window.

I bet she survived.  Spiders are pretty tough.  And I wish her and her babies well - just as long as they move next door or something.  :)


3 comments:

Chicklebee said...

We found a black widow spider in our backyard last week!!?!?!?!?!!? Good times!!!!!!!

Angela said...

Aghhhh!! Hot mess! Hot mess! I know they are good for the environment, but they seriously make me freak out-badly.

Heather said...

Black Widow? Sara--WTF? where in god's name are you living?!

That video was awesome--mean Blogger.