Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Yarn Along: Baby Sweater


Since it's Wednesday - and it's gonna be a soaker! - I thought I'd join my friend Angela and Yarn Along at the blog Small Things and post my current knitting project.

My cousin is due to have a baby in April, and I have never made a baby sweater so I thought I'd give it a go.  Besides I'm kinda itching to try a big girl sweater for me - but this is a nice way to learn about holding stitches for sleeves and cast-ons once you get started and little things like that.

The pattern is Sock Yarn Sweater {Children's Version} by Hannah Fettig and I scored it from my friend Heather - my knitting guru - but if you like it and have a Ravelry account, you can get it there for a small fee.

The yard is Madelintosh Tosh Sock in Earl Grey.  In the store the blues and oranges really came out.  All knit up - it does have a grey tone to it.  Yeah - a grey baby sweater - right?!  But I'm hoping that it will go really well with bright colored pants.  (Maybe I'll buy some when I find out if it's a boy or girl.)

So far - so good.  I did make a minor mistake reading the pattern, but I don't think it'll be a problem - nothing a little math won't fix, at least.

AS far as my reading goes, I'm still working on Nowhere Girl by A. J. Paquette.  Normally I would have read it in 2 -3 days but I am SWAMPED with work between illos, art show, and other misc. things.

More on those later.  Have a great Wednesday!

6 comments:

Becks said...

I think that is a really cute colour for a baby knit, it can be teamed with just about anything, lucky baba. Lot's of knitdown tops being shown off on this weeks yarn along...
xx

pinkundine said...

I love baby knits that come in slightly unexpected colours, and I love the way the yarn is knitting up :)

Julie_c said...

Thanks Becks and pinkundine!

I hope the color is versatile, if nothing else!

Jen said...

I actually like more colors on babies than blue and pink.

I love the color of that yarn. Such a cute pattern.

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen said...

Such a nice natural colorway, I think it's a great choice! You can always kick it up a notch with cute buttons too.

Angela said...

Oh this is so cute! You are a true knitter taking on a sweater!