Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Read & Knit Along


I am joining my friend Angela, who, on Wednesdays, participates in a blog knit/read along.  What it boils down to is that every Wednesday people post about what they are knitting & reading.

Since I was a lame blogger last week, I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and share two works-in-progress.

READING:  Nowhere Girl by A. J. Paquette.

I have a confession to make: the author is in my critique group.  I KNOW HER!  And I'm so excited to see this book in it's glorious hardcover form.  The cover illustration is fantastic and I really think it captures the lush storytelling in the book as well as any image could.

Joan, as she is known to her crit partners, writes like a ballet dancer - gracefully.  In Nowhere Girl, you not only get the compelling story of Luchi Ann, an American girl born in an Indonesian prison who's set free when her mother dies, but you also get lovely literary writing.  It's gorgeous.

I'll write more about it when I am finished.  It's been awhile since I've looked at drafts of this and I want to write a fresh review, but I can say it's a beautiful story and I'm SUPER EXCITED for her.  You rock, Joan!

KNITTING: Hermione's Deathly Hallows Beret in Sky Blue.

I had some lush cotton/silk yarn in my stash and I had tried to make a couple different versions of scarves before, but nothing ever stuck.  They just weren't the right projects.  But I loved making the same beret pattern in black, for myself, so I thought I'd use the blue to make a beret for my friend, She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named-In-Case-She-Reads-The-Blog.

It's perfect beret weather and I'll be finished with it soon.  It's not her birthday or anything, so it will just be a surprise present.  And, really, isn't it always great to get a gift just because?

So, that's what I'm up to (among about a million other little things.)  If you want to see more books and knitting projects, check out the blog: Small Things.

1 comment:

Angela said...

It's great to see you at Yarn Along. You are a true knitting fiend. That book sounds interesting. Plus I lurve that cover!
PS: You're never lame.