Friday, December 2, 2011

I love Pumpkin Pie!

(To be sung to the tune of Joan Jett's I Love Rock and Roll)
I love pumpkin pie
so put another bite in my mouth, baby
I love pumpkin pie
so pull out a plate and eat with me


If there's one flaw about our family's Thanksgiving, it is that my in-law's do not hold the absolute love for pumpkin pie that I do.  It doesn't appear to be a big New England thing.  Oh, if I beg the pie makers for one, they'd make one for me.  But only a couple people would eat it - so why bother.

Instead, I made one that my peeps could eat and enjoy.  A gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free pumpkin.  I know what you're thinking, Yummy, yummy, right?  But it is!  With the exception of the rim of the crust - which I burn every single time - it's really very tasty and has a nice thick consistency.

I don't expect anyone out there to make this.  But I'm going to record it for my own purposes next year around this time.

Here goes:

Start with the CRUST!

You'll need:
1 1/2 C. gluten-free flour mix
1/2 tsp. salt
1 TBsp. agave
1 stick "butter" - we use a vegan Earth Spread kind of dealio
4 TBsp ice water

Pop the flour, salt, agave, and cut up "butter" in a food processor and PULSE until  the dough starts to form pea-sized clumps.  Add the ice water and keep on pulsing until combined.  Put the dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for an hour or so.

Now it's time for the FILLING!

You'll need:
A can or box of pumpkin
1/2 cup of softened "Butter"  - again we use a vegan brand
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup agave
2 eggs
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 TBsp GF flour
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Start with mixing the pumpkin and butter.  (I used a food processor, but you can mix it however you like.)  Then add everything else.  You might want an electric mixer here b/c you want to get it all nice and smoooooooth.

Why don't you go ahead and preheat the oven to 450 now.

Now it's time to roll out your pie crust.  What I do is tape down some parchment or wax paper.  Flour is up good.  Plop the dough on it.  Knead - only a little - basically just getting the flour on it and taking the stickiness away.  Roll it out.  When I have it wide enough and thin enough, I brush away the excess flour, pull the tape up, and cut the paper around the edges of the dough so I don't have any excess to deal with.  Then I invert my pie pan (which I sprayed with oil) on the flat dough, then flip the whole thing over so the dough is on top.  (The paper is still stuck to the dough.)  I gently tap the dough in place, then remove the paper backing.  If there are holes - I use the excess dough to patch them.  Then I trim the excess dough from the sides of the pan.  Boom - it's ready to fill.

Pour filling into the pie crust.  Pop that pie into the oven for 10 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350 and bake it another 50-60 minutes.

After that first 10 minutes, I put foil over the crust, but I was too late.  Next time, I will put the foil on right away and take it off closer to the end - if need be.

When you remove the pie - it will need to cool and set a good long time - preferably overnight.

 If you can't wait that long - like I can't - you know what you do?  You take some of that excess dough from the crust and you cut smaller circles and line little individual baking cups - or even cupcake tins - and you put a bit of pie filling in there and bake those for, like, 20-30 minutes.  Then you have little pies to eat.  Ours weren't completely set, so we called them Pumpkin Puddings - but they were sooooo good.

I was going to take a picture - but honestly - I was more about the eating than the photographing.

Hope you all have a lovely Friday and a wonderful weekend.  I think we're going to see the new Muppet Movie - yay!

2 comments:

Angela said...

The Muppet Movie was very funny. Why don't you try one of those pie crust covers from bed, bath and beyond or you could cover them with aluminum foil.

Julie_c said...

Yes - we LOVED the new Muppet Movie!

I did cover with foil, but I was late on the uptake. Thanks though.