Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Yarn Along: Francis Revisited Sweater


The sweater is progressing nicely.  I was hesitant to start a sweater because I thought it would take me the better part of a year to finish it - but I have to say this is such a lovely, simple pattern that I'm happily cruising along.  Of course, I had a bit of a cold last week so I spent more time than usual sitting on the couch, watching TV, and knitting.

I started the first sleeve with US10 dpns and I. HATED. THEM.  Ug - how awful to have to jump from needle to needle.  It was like having a commercial every 2 minutes throughout a show.  Choppy.  Frustrating.  So I bought a 16" circular US10 needle and I'm so much happier. La, la,la!

I know some people love their dpns - but those people are weird and foreign to me.  ;)

I continue to love the yarn which is Nashua Handknits: Julia.  50% wool, 25% Alpaca, 25% Mohair.  It's very soft and has a nice drape to it.  I think it will be the perfect weight.

I'm currently readying IMAGINARY GIRLS by Nova Ren Suma.


I'm about 100 pages into it and the story is intriguing.  It's basically the story of two sisters, eldest Ruby who practically runs the town with her flirting.  She's kinda like Austin Powers; men want her and women want to be her.  And Ruby's younger sister, Chloe, who finds the body of a dead teenager while night swimming in the reservoir - which, naturally, freaks her out quite a bit.  Well, it seems there's lots of freaky stuff going on in the reservoir - but I haven't gotten to all of it yet.

I like a plot-driven narrative.  Tight.  So I have to admit that this story is a bit over-written for my taste.  I'll skim paragraphs of description.  But I like it.  I'm wanting to get back to it.  So that's always a thumbs up for me.

Happy Wednesday!

(Joining Ginny at Small Things.)

5 comments:

Tracey said...

I saw the picture of your sweater and my heart beat a little faster..it is beautiful and the yarn is just so lovely! Thank you for the yarn description, I am suppose to be on a no yarn buy,but I really think I need that yarn here!
Happy Yarn Along!

Julie_c said...

Wow, Tracey, you're so kind. The pattern is on Ravelry and the neck isn't finished. There's a cowl neck to add on. I bought the yarn at WEBS in North Hampton MA. I went to the store but they have a website as well. It wasn't super expensive.

Proud Mama said...

Your sweater looks fantastic. I made the same pattern last year. It went so quickly and looks good on as well. U can appreciate your dedication to one project at a time. I wish I could stop being distracted by the bright shiny things I see!

Lori ann said...

your sweater is so lovely, the color and shape, really pretty. i had to laugh at your dpn description, it is like that sometimes for me too. :)

Angela said...

What?! I am weird now? I enjoy dpns and my Addi circulars. I think I am versatile so there. ;)
Your sweater is awesome. Hey sorry you were down with a cold but extra tv and knitting time can make up for that.