Friday, April 6, 2012

Monkey Ono Goes to New York


Yesterday was my big trip to New York.  It's actually not that big.  Apparently, if I can get here on a three-hour bus ride I'm considered "local."  But still, it's a big trip for me.  One of the great things about having a healthy imagination is I can come up with crazy story ideas.  One of the downsides is I can imagine about 100 different ways to lose the picture book art between my house and Viking.   And that's what I was doing; delivering the Monkey Ono art to the publisher.

Fortunately, I did not leave it on the bus.  The bus did not crash on the highway.  And I was not art mugged.   The Monkey Ono art has been delivered safe and sound!

Here's the view from my editor's window.


Not only does she have a fantastic view, but look at all the great books in the window.  Hmmmm - there seems to be a little ninja there that I'm somewhat familiar with.  ;)

Here's the Monkey Ono art all laid out.
  

I'm so used to seeing this art that I forget that this is the first time that the good folks at Viking are seeing it in living color.  I mean, I send them scans throughout the process, but a cruddy scan never really does any artwork justice.  I think they were surprised by how much brighter everything really was.

You know, I spend a decent amount of time choosing my outfit for my New York days.  On one hand, I'm on a bus for 6 - 7 hours that day, so I want to be comfortable.  On the other hand, I want to look professional, or at least not shlubby.  When going through outfits, Mike liked one with a dark brown top and black pants.

"But isn't this too dark for Springtime?"  I asked.

"It's New York," he said.  "Everyone wears black."

And sure enough, when Tracy, my editor, took off her coat, she was in head-to-toe black!


After all the business stuff, Tracy, Denise (the art director) and I went out to lunch at Aquagrill.  


MmmmmmmMMMMM!

Tracy and I had hoped for soft shell crabs, but they didn't have any fresh in that day.  Instead, I had Horseradish Encrusted Halibut with Potato-Shrimp Salad and Asparagus.

IT WAS SO GOOD!  So good!  I'm not a food critic, so I can't really write a decent food review.  But OMG - so good!

Then the professional New York women headed back to the office and I strolled across town to hit Babycakes vegan bakery.


This was a little disappointing.  Not the food.  The baked goods are divine!  But it is very small - like closet small - and it was PACKED with people.  Now, if I knew exactly what Magoo could eat and I knew exactly what I wanted, this wouldn't have been a problem.  But some foods have agave and some have sugar.  Some are gluten-free, some are spelt.  I had questions!  Yes, I was that tourist in the packed NY place with questions.  Hate me now!

So, under pressure, I quickly ordered two slices of pumpkin bread and a brownie for myself.  It's sort of a shame because I really should have/wanted to order more.  I mean, I'm down in NY for the day and I walked all the way across town just to visit this place, I wanted to bring home a stash. 

But it was fine.  Mike and Magoo were certainly very happy to have a treat by the time I got home.  And I have to be happy that such a wonderful little place is doing good business.  I just wish I had had a better handle on what to order when going in.  Ah well.  I still have the cookbook.  I can bake some goodies myself!

I got back home around 8pm, kicked it on the couch for 90 minutes, then hit the hay.  A successful New York day over.

I hope everyone out there has a wonderful Easter weekend and that the Easter Bunny is good to you all!

No comments: