Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lemon Cake


Tuesday was Mike's birthday, so I made him this yummy lemon cake.  It was a new recipe and - as always - since no recipe is ever exactly right for our diet, there were some substitutions.  But I'm happy to report that it was pretty good.  I would have made more icing - as I think that always helps - but I was low on the "butter."  Next time.

Here's the recipe if you're in a sugar-free, gluten-free kind of mood.

LEMON AGAVE CAKE

1 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsps lemon zest (3 lemons)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons)
1 1/4 cup agave
1/2 cup safflower oil
3 1/2 cups all-purpose GF flour
1 tsp xantham gum
1 1/2 tsp baking power
3/4 baking soda
3/4 salt
1 egg


Preheat oven to 350.  Grease two 9" round cake pans. 

Mix coconut milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest.  Let sit at least 5 minutes.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, xantham gum, baking power, baking soda, and salt.  Whisk.

Add agave, oil, and egg to milk mixture.  Mix.

Add flour mixture to milk mixture, stir.  Then pour evenly into cake pans.

Bake 30 minutes.

Remove from over.   Check with a tooth pick.  Cool.  After about 30 minutes, remove from cake pans and cool completely on a rack.

LEMON ICING

I don't know exactly how much I used, but I mix Earth Balance "Butter" Spread with honey at a 1:1 ratio.  Then I added the zest of one lemon.  Mix.

When the cake is completely cool, ice that baby.

And guess what?  I made this cake in my brand new stove!  Ta da!


Two burners were out on the old one so that was it for me.  It was in the house when we moved in ten years ago, so I think it did a pretty good job.  I'm really excited about the new cook surface.  We were always getting crumbs and crud under the burners and I just didn't want to deal with it anymore.  So we're being really careful, trying not to place things on the stove top or scratch it.  So far so good.  It's pretty cool!

In other news:  I think my summer is going to be like that circus act where the person spins plates on sticks.  As one plate slows and wobbles, he rushes over and spins it.  Then another, then another.  He dashes all over, trying to keep those plates from breaking.  That's me!  Nothing's breaking, but there are certainly a lot of plates spinning right now:  writing, illustrating, art classes, commission work, house work, watering the tree and grass, laundry, cooking, groceries, Magoo's social calendar.  It's a lot.

So I'm taking some deep breaths.  Doing some pilates.  And counting down the days until school starts again.  :)

No comments: