Monday, August 6, 2012

A SHOUT OUT to Gwen Frostics


There's a place in Benzonia, MI that I have visited since I was little girl.  It's called Gwen Frostics.


What it is, simply put, is a stationary store with a printing press on site.  It's very cool to be able to watch the presses at work.


But really, it's just this really cool place where this lady, Gwen Frostic, lived and worked, loved nature, and drew nature.  The building reflects all that.  It's kinda hard to describe the vibe, but it's a place that grew out of love, not a business that was about making money.

As a child I enjoyed the fish pond that is right in the front foyer.  I think there used to be a frog in it that I would search for.  There's also a room with a huge picture window out back where you can watch the wildlife, and trails back there too.

Inside, there are walls of prints, books, t-shirt, and stationary.  All lovely block prints made fromt he sketches of the late Gwen Frostic.

I could have lingered there for hours, but we were on our way to a canoe trip, so I only had time to snap a couple shots and but some stationary.

Here's the website, if you want to check it out.  And if you're ever in Benzonia, MI, make sure to stop by.  It's a wonderful place.

No comments: