Monday, September 24, 2012

Hot Cross Buns


In the second week of clarinet lessons, Magoo has been assigned the song, Hot Cross Buns.

When first learning it, we had to figure out the fingers from the chart (which took about 15 minutes) then he got to work.  I wanted to see if I could play it and I was AMAZED at how difficult it was just to get a sound out of the thing.

Whoa.

I had played a little flute in elementary school, so I was used to blowing across the instrument.  Man, your breath has to be very specifically forced into this little slit of a clarinet opening.  Not.  Easy.

Magoo improved every day.  And even better, he seems happy to practice.  I haven't had to nag him once!

When he said he wanted to try it, I didn't know what to expect.  Some things stick, some don't, yanno.  But so far, so good.  And we even booked a few private lessons to go along with the weekly lesson at school.

When he plays a solid song, I've record it.

In the meantime, Happy Monday!


2 comments:

musing manatee said...

Love the pic. So thrilled he's enjoying it!

Angela said...

Cool. And I agree great pic. Now I'm remembering my brother playing Hot Cross Buns on his sax over and over-so glad he is enjoying playing!