Sunday, September 16, 2012

Illustration Friday: Burst

Burst           2012             j. c. phillipps

Here's another one for Illustration Friday - and, for Open Studio Weekend.  The topic this week was Burst.

I think I struggled a bit last week with the topic of Imagination because it is so wide open.  It could be anything, really.  But Burst is a bit more specific.  I immediately thought of bubbles.  But I usually try to work away from what my first or second thought is.  I don't want to be too obvious, yanno. 

Eventually I got to four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie bursting out of the pie crust. 

If you've been following my work, you know that I love birds.  So bonus!  Then I thought I'd put in the mystified baker to add some color and the simplified human figure makes it a little more suitable for a child's room.

Have a great week!


8 comments:

Tony LaRocca said...

This rhyme used to freak me out as a child, I got all upset worrying about those blackbirds being baked alive!

Hannah Tuohy said...

Great illustration! Wonderful job!

jomcmullan said...

This is really great - I had forgotten about this rhyme until now!

Jane Grant Tentas said...

I really like the yellow background that defines the shapes of the flying blackbirds.

Julie_c said...

Thanks so much! I'm having a lot of fun with the Illustration Friday project. I can't believe I didn't start sooner!

Angela said...

Love it! I can't believe I saw this Illustration Friday thing just now. I may have to join in.

Julie_c said...

You absolutely should, Angela!

Nicola said...

Lovely! The birds have a print-making quality too, which I also like.