Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Yarn Along: Goodale Cardi





Hi all!

I'm joining Ginny's Yarn Along after a summer absence.  I started this sweater in May, but it was too hot to pick up wool, so I took a knitting break.  But a couple weeks ago I decided to get back to it and finished it up.  Now the temperature has dropped and I can probably wear it soon!  Yea!  Because I love it.  The patter is called Goodale and you can find the details on my Ravelry page here.http://www.ravelry.com/projects/NinjaWoman/goodale

I am currently reading a MG book written my a friend and critique partner Natalie Dias Lorenzi.  It's called Flying the Dragon.


It's told in dual POV (Point of View.)  Hiroshi is a boy from Japan who loves flying battle kites with his grandfather.  Skye is Hiroshi's cousin who lives in the U.S. and has never been to Japan.  When Hiroshi and his family move to the U.S. due to Grandfather's illness, it is a culture shock for both children.  Hiroshi is sudden emerged into an American culture and Skye must dig deep within her own Japanese roots to bond with a Grandfather she may not have much time with.

I'm a little bit biased, it's true.  But this is a really beautiful story about people learning about the different parts of themselves, how to give of themselves, and how to work together to be stronger.

And it's awesomely written, too.

8 comments:

come on in x said...

the cardi is lovely, such a vibrant colour. The book sounds good too, is it an adults book or suitable for kids?

musing manatee said...

Spiffy sweater!

What's "MG"?

Julie_c said...

Sorry. "MG" stands for Middle Grade, which means its suitable for kids, I dunno, 9 or up. Or younger if they are a "reader."

Thanks so much for the compliments!

Anke said...

LOVE the sweater! Very pretty pattern and I just love the vibrant red. I've been knitting on a dress, and last time I brought it to my daughters swim practice, I felt like I had a blanket on my lap. Now I bring my book. :-)

Rachel @ The Philosophers Wife said...

Oh, wow! I love the sweater! So bright and cheerful! Absolutely gorgeous.

If you're interested, I'm hosting a giveaway for a custom dyed skein of yarn on my blog. http://philwife.blogspot.com/2012/08/custom-dyed-yarn-giveaway.html

Julie_c said...

Thanks so much, everyone!

Heather aka Proud Mama said...

Your sweater turned out lovely. The red is perfect for this time of year.

Angela said...

That sweater is awesome. I love the color and toggle closure!