Thursday, October 18, 2012

Autumn Colors


Every so often I get an eNewsletter from a photographer named Kat Sloma that gives little tips and ideas for improving ones photography.

This time the letter was entitled, Creating with Intention, and the tip was to understand what caught your eye in a certain scene so that you can try to capture it with the camera.  So simple.  But so right.  And, for me, so often forgotten.   Sure, something will spark my interest, but by the time I get the camera to my face and start fiddling with the focus and composition and whatnot, I've completely let go of what the original inspiration for picking the camera up.

Yesterday, I noticed how the sun hit a beautiful tree in the backyard.  The oranges just POPPED against the clear blue sky.  So I grabbed my camera and rushed out in the wind - brrrr - and tried to get it.  But I remembered that the blue was just as important as the orange and I wanted a bit of the dark shadows and the greens in there too b/c the darks make the colors even brighter.

I don't know if it's a stellar photograph, but I did capture on film what appealed to me eye - and that was the point.  So good job, me!
 

Then, to continue with the theme of autumn colors, I wanted to try to get the ripening tomatoes on the window sill.  What really works for me in this shot is the yellow bush in the background.

Hope the colors are popping where you are!

If you're into photography, check out Kat Eye Studio.


1 comment:

Tony LaRocca said...

The blue and the orange compliment each other. What if you arraigned your tomatoes in order of ripeness? :)