Monday, December 17, 2012

Monday Post with No Good Title

Hi.

I live in Connecticut and as I'm sure you've heard by now, a terrible thing happened not too far from here.  Newtown is about 45 minutes away.

Whereas I don't personally know any of the families directly effected, our community feels the ripples.  I'm sure every person that hears about it, feels it in some way.

My goal over that last few days was to try to keep the story from Magoo.  I can't imagine why he needs to know about this.  There's nothing he can do.  There's no lessons of stranger danger to be learned here. 

Everything that I have heard about the story of Sandy Brook School is that they did everything correctly - followed every protocol - there just wasn't anything they could do to stop it.

But today is Monday and I'm sure that other children know the story.  Will it come up in school?  Probably.

I'll be there later today to volunteer in the library as I usually do, so I'll get a sense of what's entered Magoo's ear then.  I imagine we'll have to have a talk tonight.   But wouldn't it be lovely if I didn't have to.  Wouldn't it be lovely if his mind remains consumed with excitement for next week - and only that - as it should be.

I apologize for bumming anyone out.  Life is basically normal for us - with maybe a little more awareness, fear, and gratitude.  Magoo is terribly excited for Santa's visit.  We spend every night watching some holiday special or another.  I'm actively trying to figure out what to make for Christmas breakfast that is gluten-free, yeast-free, sugar-free, tasty, and easy.  I just ordered a cookbook with recipe for GF YF Cinnamon buns.  We'll see.

In the meantime, if you're looking for something you can do to help the Newtown Community, the United Way is building a fund:

https://newtown.uwwesternct.org/

or you can send a check to:

Sandy Hook School Support Fund
c/o Newtown Savings Bank
39 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470






No comments: