Monday, January 21, 2013

Winter Wonderland


This weekend we were lucky enough to be invited up to Woodstock, Vermont for some winter fun.
It started with sledding.  There's a lovely sledding hill behind Charlie & Larry's condo.  I guess very little sledding goes on there regularly, but another family with kids was visiting, and they packed the snow down good!  Vroom!


Saturday and Sunday were both lovely sunny days.  I guess the good folks at Suicide Six (the ski mountain) would have liked it colder to help solidify the snow base, but if you're skiing and it's sunny and warm, well, that's just lovely.


We opted out of ski lessons for Magoo.  He said he thought he remembered the basics from his lessons last year.  We took a few runs on the training hill to make sure, and yeppers - he seemed good to good.


As a mother and as a person who's broken her leg skiing (when I was 10 - Magoo's age) I admit to being nervous watching him ski.  He's good, but he doesn't have complete control.  Most of the time I lead the way down the path, turning my head and shouting, "Control your speed!"  "Make zig zags!"

 By the end of the second day, he said he wanted to do Bunny Boulevard, which is a blue square path.  My immediate response was "No way!"  But then I stopped myself, because he should be allowed to try things.  Or - at the very least - Mama shouldn't let her anxiety stop him from trying things he's prepared for.  So I didn't.  And we made it down. 

No broken bones = good ski trip.

On a side note, there's a store called Unicorn in Woodstock, so you know I had to snap a pic of this:


Thanks to Charlie and Larry for your gracious hospitality!

Hope you all had a great weekend!


No comments: