Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Blast from My Past

Yesterday I received a large envelope in the mail.  Large envelopes are always fun, aren't they?
Especially when you don't know what's in them. 

This was a package from my step-mother who had been cleaning my dad's office and came across some old drawings of mine.

I'm calling this one Happy Birds.


The birds don't necessarily look happy, but everyone else is happy so I figure the birds are too.  Actually, I really like the composition of the birds.  I might try to recreate this in a collage.  That could be a fun project, going through my old drawings and remaking them.  Hmmmm.

Anyway - back to the post.  I think this sums up a big part of my childhood, Happy Little Julie. 

Here's a self-portrait.


I wish I still had those eyelashes!  And I wonder who the tiny person to the right is?  Is she far away or just small?  I do enjoy the amount of detail given to my dress.   Look at my pretty little pattern.  It's so cute.

There was also a CD in the package that was an interview with my grandfather in 1985.  A niece of his was asking questions about where he grew up and what some of his memories were.  It was crazy to hear his voice again and the stories were funny.  (Some funny ha-ha and some funny-odd.)  I haven't finished the whole thing yet.  I have no idea how long it is.  I was listening while making cookies and it lasted about 30 minutes. 

Maybe I'll take it up to Boston with me next week.  It's about a 2 hour drive.  We'll see what he has to say.  Pretty cool.

Thanks Pam!  (Step-mom)


3 comments:

Lucia Sasaki said...

Hi Julie!
Thanks for your posting and please excuse for my delay in answer!
I had a very busy and anguished week because I needed to do a workpaper for my Translation English Portuguese course I have been attending. It were my first academic paper in years!
But coming back to your childhood drawings I hope the blast were a positive one.
I think that it is good thing remembering our pasts specially when they are good ones.
I liked your last post about Magoo and the new painting in his room. You are right, you need draw and paint another scene because the that wall now were very empty.
Thanks for your postings!!

Ruth Schiffmann said...

What fun! Every once in a while my mom will unearth old drawings and cards I made. It's fun to look back. Love the self portrait! Happy indeed.

Julie_c said...

Thanks Lucia and Ruth!
Lucia, I hope this week is calmer and happier for you.