Monday, May 20, 2013

M.I.T. Scratch Day


I'm skipping Picture Book Workshop today to tell you about a really fun thing Magoo and his father did on Saturday: M.I.T.'s Scratch Day.

"What is Scratch Day?" you ask.

Well, Scratch is a computer program that teaches computer programming.  And I have to write a disclaimer here: I've never done it.  I don't really understand it.  But Magoo LOVES it and it does seem really cool.  So if you have a kid who's into computers, you might want to check out Scratch.

Anyhoo, M.I.T. which created this program has a yearly Scratch Day where families can come and learn about newer versions of Scratch and participate in some cool programming exercises.

Here's Magoo learning how to use a Makey Makey board.


Check out this video to see what a Makey Makey board is.  (It's so cool.)

There were lots of opportunities for kids to share what they have been working on.  Here's Magoo presenting his project at M.I.T.  Not too shabby!


Here's Magoo going through some obstacle course.  I don't 100% know what's happening, but it sure looks like fun.


After 3 hours of programming, Magoo walked out of M.I.T. beaming like he's been to Six Flaggs.  He learned a lot, I think he was inspired a lot, and he had a blast.


Go Scratch!

2 comments:

Lucia Sasaki said...

Hi Julie, thanks for posting.
You really means M.I.T.?!
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it is privilege your son goes to places like this. Imagine, I went to University of Sao Paulo only when I started to attend Librarianship classes and I was an adult.
It is always good "hear" from you.
Have a great week!!

Julie_c said...

Thanks Lucia. I agree, my son is very fortunate to live between New York and Boston where we can take him on day trips and I can expose him to wonderful things.
Always nice to "hear" from you too. :)