Wednesday, June 5, 2013

DIY: Monkey Ono Silk-Screen Shirt


Tonight is the school fair and this morning I decided that I NEEDED to have a Monkey Ono shirt to wear.  I had been meaning to make one for months - I had the shirt and paints - but I hadn't had the inclination.  Well, this morning the inclination smacked me on the head and demanded, DO IT NOW!

Okay, okay.  Calm down, inclination.  Geesh!

Then I decided that you, my dear readers, might want to make a shirt too, so I'm including directions.  These are specific instructions on making a Monkey Ono shirt, but you can do this technique with any design.

Here's what you need:


shirt: washed and dried.  Ironed, if wrinkled.
freezer paper
fabric paint (& sponges/brushes)
cardboard (to put under the shirt)
scissors/Xacto blade
marker/pencil
cat (optional)

First you'll need an image.  Here's and image of Monkey Ono you can use, or grab something from the Internet, or draw something original.






Size your artwork on the computer and print it out.  Then tape it to a window and tape the piece of freezer paper over it (shiny side down) so you're drawing on the non-shiny side.  Trace your image.  (You're mainly tracing the outline of the image, you don't have to bother with little details like eyes or the nose.)



Next, cut out the image.  The important thing to remember here is that you want the outline more that the actually image because you are making a stencil, so be neat.  Take your time.  (I also cut out the face and belly b/c I don't want to paint that area.


Iron your shirt to make it nice and smooth and insert the cardboard behind the fabric.  Then, with the shiny side of the paper kissing the fabric, iron the paper down.  (NO STEAM)  The shiny plastic on the paper will stick to the fabric making a nice seal.  If you don't like where your image is, pull it up, adjust, and try again. 


Then, I ironed down the belly circle and the face until they were well sealed.

Make sure you have a nice, tight seal, then go ahead and paint.  I squirt a little fabric paint into an old lid and use a sponge to generously dab in on the fabric.

Since the hands, hair, and ears are different colors, I was careful not to paint those parts purple.


I had different sponges for those colors, then I carefully added the black and turquoise, avoiding the purple areas.


You'll need one or two coats.  Let it dry.

At this point, I lifted the belly circle and the face and painted those areas turquoise with a brush.  When it's all dry, lift the freezer paper off.  (This comes off without too much difficulty, but be gentle with it just in case.)


Your Monkey Ono should now look like this.  (Don't take the cardboard away yet.  We're not done!)


You need to hand paint the face.  Well, you don't need to, but that's what I did.   Monkey Ono's face is very simple.  Start with two big dots for eyes.  Connect the dots with a thin line.  Make three dashes down the middle to his mouth, then paint a big, happy smile.  You'll also want to paint finger lines on the hands.


 Let it all dry and follow the washing directions on your fabric paint.
 

BOOM - MONKEY ONO SHIRT!

3 comments:

Lucia Sasaki said...

Hi Julie, thanks for your posting!
I liked a lot your step by step tutorial to make a silk screen of Monkey Ono (he is, indeed, a very cute character).
Your artistic endeavors always make me smile.
Thanks again!

Julie_c said...

Thanks Lucia!

I'm Jon, just a guy. I try to smell good. said...

That's awesome!