Sunday, July 14, 2013

Portrait of My Son

I love Pinterest!  If I'm bored or just feeling kind of uninspired, I can go to the boards and browse through all kinds of wonderful things until inspiration strikes.

I found this watercolor painting by Francoise de Felice...


... and I thought - Yes!  I would like to painting something like that.

I asked Magoo to pose for me, and because he's, like, the BEST boy in the world, he agreed.  Then I sketched him out on watercolor paper.  (Full disclosure, I use a lightbox.  I can sketch, but there's a lot of erasing involved and you don't want to erase a lot on watercolor paper b/c it will upset the texture of the paper.)


When I started out, I thought I would try to paint it like the de Felice portrait.  That's why there's so much pencil shading.  I intended to do a couple light washes on Magoo's face and then let the rest of it remain pencil.

Then I started painting and I just couldn't help myself.  I went full watercolor.

J. C. Phillipps                                           2013


I'll probably pick at it for a while, a little shadow here, a little highlight there, but for the most part it's done and I'm pleased. 

I actually had a lot of fun painting a person again.  I do want to try working a painting a little more mixed media, though, like the de Felice portrait,  but perhaps I should yank a photo from a magazine of a person I don't know, then it won't matter to me if I got a good likeness.



4 comments:

musing manatee said...

Nice share. We love the watercolor portrait you did of our guys :-)

Julie_c said...

Thanks so much, Shirley!

Hirondelle said...

It is a great portrait. I have never tried that before, but this one is inspiring me!

Julie_c said...

Thanks Hirondelle! I checked out your blog. I love the snails you did for I.F.