Saturday, August 17, 2013

Baked Honey Donuts


A little while ago, Magoo and I were watching TV and there was some scene involving a donut.  I don't remember exactly how the scene went, but I do remember that Magoo was not familiar with the deliciousness of a donut. 

On one hand, why should he?  Because of his dietary issues, I've never taken him to Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme. 

On the other hand, he's an American!  He NEEDS to know the YUM of donuts!  And, as his mother, I try very hard to make sure that he has something equivalent to what his friends are eating: pizza, birthday cake, and now, donuts.  I don't want him to miss out because he has food restrictions.

It wasn't difficult to find a recipe to convert.  The tricky part was the pan.  Most - if not all - donut pans are aluminum or non-stick.  (Both of which are not OK for Magoo's system.)  When I bake, I use glass or stainless steel.  But there aren't any glass or stainless steel donut pans out there.  Or, I should say, I couldn't find any.

So I got creative.  I went on Etsy and found some vintage glass mini-bundt cake pans. They're called Little Princess Glasbake molds (in case you want some) and they're from the 1940's.  This morning we gave them a go.


I topped half of them with a honey/Earth Balance glaze and half with melted dark chocolate.  (Breakfast of champions, right?!  Little Chocolate Donuts, anyone?)


I have to say, they came out quite well.  Nice soft, spongy texture.  Sweet flavor.  And Magoo was happy boy.

Here's the recipe in case you're looking for a gluten-free, sugar-free donut treat.



BAKED HONEY DONUTS

Makes 8 donuts. (In the Glasbake molds.)

2 cups GF Flour
½ tsp xantham gum
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp salt
¾ cup buttermilk substitute (Coconut milk + lemon juice)
2 large eggs
¾ cup honey
2 TB melted butter
1 TB vanilla extract

PREP

Preheat oven to 425. Coat donut pans with cooking spray.

Juice ½ lemon and pour into measuring cup. Fill cup will coconut milk until it reaches ¾ cup. Mix. Let sit. 

Combine dry ingredients in one bowl: flour, xantham gum, baking powder, nutmeg, salt. Whisk.

Combine wet ingredients in another bowl: buttermilk, honey, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Whisk.

Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined. Don't over mix.

Spoon into donut molds about ½ – ¾ full.

Bake 10 minutes.

While baking, prep donut toppings. Melt chocolate or mix honey-butter glaze.

Remove donuts. Let cool in pans 4 minutes. Use butter knife to work the edges and flip over.

Glaze and enjoy.

Yum!



6 comments:

Leandra Wallace said...

They looked delicious! I'm glad Magoo got to experience donuts, and props to you, Mom, for going that extra mile! I can imagine food allergies in this day and age of convenient grab and go must be so hard. =(

Julie_c said...

It can be tricky Leandra, but we are lucky to live in a town with two Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's.

Lucia Sasaki said...

Hi Julie, it is so touching when you show pictures of your relationship with Magoo. You are indeed a Ninja Woman.
Thanks for sharing a bit of your life. Believe me: seeing at this distance, it is amazing.
Congratulations and thank you for the recipe too!!

musing manatee said...

So cool that you found those glass mini-Bundt glass thingies!

NKOTB4Eternity said...

Great idea on the glass containers! Did you need to spray oil on the first?

Julie said...

Someone asked if I sprayed the glass pans with oil first. Yes, I did. I have a coconut oil spray that I used. You'd definitely want to use something or else it will be difficult to get the donuts out.