Saturday, August 3, 2013

BIG FUN at the Hotchkiss Library Book Event

Last evening, I had the great pleasure of joining a ton o' fabulous authors and illustrators at a big book signing event at the Hotchkiss Library in Sharon, CT.


It's hard to see the building because of the trees, but it is GORGEOUS!  I should have taken pictures inside, but the only time I was in there was to use the restroom and I just didn't think to bring a camera with me for that. (Silly me!)

Here's the one of the many tables, pre-event.


Before things got swinging, I was able to convince the lovely Giselle Potter (Cecil the Pet Glacier) and Kathryn Selbert (War Dogs) to pose for a picture with me.


Then it was time to roll.  I sat next to Kate (War Dogs) and the crazy-nice* Barbara McClintock (Twelve Shades of Ice, among about a bajillion other titles) who entertained me with her coffee cup doodles.

* by "crazy-nice" I don't mean she's crazy, but nice, I mean it's crazy how nice she is!

On the other side of Barbara was Jeff Mack who's totally awesomely talented and also has many fabulous books (Good News, Bad News.)


When there was a lull in the action, I was able to go around a score a few books for Magoo and me.
Here's a Vine video of what I bought:

 Scary Tales: Home Sweet Horror by James Preler
Twelve Kinds of Ice by Ellen Bryan Obed, illustrated by Barbara McClintock
Cecil the Pet Glacier by Matthea Harvey, illustrated by Giselle Potter
Clueless McGee and the Inflatable Pants by Jeff Mack
and
Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead (who I met briefly and she was lovely, but she was sitting too far away from me to chat with.)


When the joint was jumping, it was really jumping.  It was so nice to see so many people come out for a book event - but then again, they had some pretty great authors & illustrators out there (and not just kidlit people either.  But I never got to mingle around the grown-up side of the tent.)

Apart from it being a perfect-weather evening and getting to chat with awesome folks, the highlight was definitely the cupcakes.


Gretchen Hachmeister, one of the wonderful organizers of the event, smuggled us some cupcakes.  (insert Heavenly choir of angles) BLISS!

OMG - these were sooooooo good.  Yanno, when you're an author and you're sitting at a table for hours chatting people up and being smiley and pleasant, it's nice to have a sugar kick close to the end.

The cupcakes were from Jam Food Shop.  If you're ever in Sharon (and it's soo cute, you should go) definitely find this place and have a cupcake.  The frosting - OH THE FROSTING - was like eating a cloud of delight!

BIG THANKS to all the people at the Hotchkiss Library who invited me out.  It was an honor to take part in such a fabulous event.  Thanks also to Jeff Mack, Barbara McClintock, and Kathryn Selbert for being so much fun to hang with while signing books.  And thanks to all the people who came out to support books and the library!  It was a great event!

2 comments:

Natalie Dias Lorenzi said...

Just emailed you asking how the event went, and then saw this post! It looks like a great time was had by all. :-)

Leandra Wallace said...

Thanks for sharing pics, it looks like it was a perfect day! And yum, cupcakes!