Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Open Studio Prep: Matryoshka Dolls

Anastasiya              2013              j. c. phillipps

Liliya               2013               j. c. phillipps

Olga                2013               j. c. phillipps

Open Studio Hartford is coming up.  (Nov.16 & 17th.)  It's time to take inventory of what I have and fill the holes of what I don't.

I firmly believe that everyone should be able to afford original art.  So one of my goals each year is to have some high end pieces for the collectors, but a lot of pieces well under $100 for the folks who love art but maybe aren't the wealthiest of folks.  Like me!  That said, I don't want to spend 10 hours on a piece and under sell it.

For the affordable art, the goal is to think of a cute design that isn't too complicated, that I can make in under an hour, but still looks great and professionally made.

This year I decided to make a collection of matryoshka dolls.  I made a simple template that I used for all three of them, collected papers in certain color schemes, and painted some simple faces.  Then, cut, paste, mat, frame - BOOM a lovely little collection that I think will appeal to girls and people who love those dolls.

Today, I paint fish!



3 comments:

Leandra Wallace said...

Lovely! They'd look great all framed and hanging together. I'm sure they'll go fast!

Becky Shillington said...

You are so creative, Julie, and so talented! And I love the dolls!

Julie_c said...

Thank you both so much.