Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Halloween Costume: ROADKILL

I must confess: I very much enjoy making my son's Halloween costumes.  Every year that he wants a store bought costume, a little part of me dies.  So, come Autumn, when I ask him what he wants to be, I try to play it cool.  But inside I'm hoping it will be something fantastic and original and not available at iParty.

Magoo was undecided for awhile.  Then I came across a great squirrel costume.  (From Night Fall publicity shots.) 

From NIGHT FALL HARTFORD 2012.  Not my photograph or my costume.
Magoo liked it, but he suggested that the squirrel be dead with X's across the eyes.

I CAN DO THAT!

And I did!  I finished yesterday.  Here's how it looks on the dressmaker dummy.


I had envisioned a black tire tread, but it didn't show up on the dark grey, so I went with metallic.  It's visible and reflective now.  Style and safety - can't beat that for a kid walking around in the dark!

There are X's on the eyes - as requested.  We debated adding blood and guts, but Magoo is happy with it the way it is.  It's a more elegant death for this little rodent who Magoo has named Bucky.


Construction notes:
The head was made from poster board, which I then paper mache'd for strength, and then painted.  I bought the clothes from Salvation Army and stamped them with fabric paint.  The tail was made by cutting strips of paper and taping them onto a wire tail form.

Viola!

Dead Squirrel costume!

I'll take more pictures once Magoo models it for me.  Hope all your Halloween preparations are coming along!


3 comments:

I'm Jon, just a guy. I try to smell good. said...

That is awesome!!!

Johnell DeWitt said...

Wow. Very creative. I can't sew to save my life.

Cathy Ballou Mealey said...

We have roughly 200 kids each Halloween. I see every iParty costume at least 3 times. My favorites are the pre-tween girls with hair in rollers, fluffy bathrobes, and gobs of Noxema smeared across their cheeks. Now that's a fun costume! (If you can't be a roadkill squirrel that is ;-D)