Monday, December 16, 2013

Picture Book Life: The Game of Picture Book


Howdy all!

Today, since I'm in the midst of getting a rejection for two projects, my agent showing two projects, and working on another project, I thought it'd be fun to do a little visual of what it's like to work on a single project start-to-finish.
 

I still think it's a widely believed misconception to a lot of non-professional-writer people that it's easy to write and publish a picture book.  (All my writer friends can insert a hearty chuckle here.) 

But on some level, it's true.  It's not very difficult to write a first draft of a picture book.  It's not even  hard to take a good, hard look at that story, rip it apart, and put it back together even better than it was before.  But once you start showing to people and taking notes and doing layers-upon-layers of revision, I think that's when most non-professional-writer folks would call it a day.

I show a similar visual to kids when I do school presentations to illustrate the amount of work that goes into a single 450-word project.  It's a lot of work - but it is kinda like a game too.  There are baby steps forward along the way.  There are certainly many places where you have to scrap everything and start all over.  And there are no short-cut ladders.  (I'm sure in the special Caldecott Award Winner edition, there might be a few ladders - but not in my edition.  :)

But I think the way that creating picture books is most like a game is that when things are going well - ideas are flowing, the work is chugging along - it's really fun

I hope you're all out having some fun today!



6 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Yup-yup-YUP.
You should market that one at writing conventions! ;)

Julie_c said...

Then we can all sit around and play it!

Julie_c said...

PS. I think rejections would be more fun if there was an actual giant slide you could go down each time you got one - and land in a big pile of pillows!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Fantastic! This truly made me smile. :)

Anna Staniszewski said...

Haha, I love this. You should make it a real board game. Everyone will be crying by the end... :-)

Cathy Ballou Mealey said...

I'm envisioning a preliminary version for the as-yet-unagented writers here! ;-)