Monday, December 23, 2013

Picture Book Life: My Rejection Playlist


Have you gotten a rejection lately?  I have.  I'm in the thick of it as I have a couple things going out right now.  It's gotten me thinking about how different songs effect me when I'm in this fragile state of ego.

For example...

Sometimes you've worked you butt off making changes for an editor, and they still reject your manuscript.  You're red-hot angry!  Try track 1 on my Rejection Playlist: SABOTAGE by The Beastie Boys.  Make sure you have plenty of space to throw cathartic karate chops and power kicks.


Sometimes a rejection seems more silly than serious, or rather, it's more about them than it is about you.  My own library told me that they had a policy that wouldn't allow for local authors to read their works there.  My own library was against me!  How ludicrous!  But what can you do?  Pop on F*** YOU by Cee-lo Green.  You're still giving someone the finger, but it's in a fun, boppy way.


Then there are the days when you just feel so darn heart-broken, you wonder if you will ever write again.  You start thinking of other things you could do with your life.  Bagging groceries sounds OK.  You could always do that.  You need to pop on track 3: TITANIUM by David Guetta STAT!


After you've gone through all the many emotions that come with rejections, and you've listened to some music that will help you purge those nasty doubts, you might be ready to get back-in-the-saddle again with revisions or a new project altogether.  Listen to BEST DAY OF MY LIFE by American Authors to give yourself the final jolt back to your awesome self and WRITE ON!



Have any suggestions for my Rejection Playlist?  I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

Mirka Breen said...

I'll take Back-in-the-Saddle. Not only a good song, but it's where I am.