Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Kids' Reading Series (of Art): Jack and the Beanstalk

Jack and the Beanstalk           2014         j. c. phillipps

I have an art show coming up in June.  For the longest time I thought I'd so a series of animals in sweaters, but I couldn't figure out how I wanted them to look.  I tried printing sweater patterns onto paper and I even knit a mini red pullover for a cow - but I didn't love it.  I barely liked it.  So I moved on.

Since I write and illustrate books, I often find inspiration in children's literature.  I saw a cool illustration on Pinterest with a person reading a book and a tree sprung from their head filled with the characters of the story.  Loved it, but I didn't really think the tree would spring organically from me, so I'm going with the classic imagination bubble.

I thought about putting the title of the story on the cover of the book, but I think it's a little more fun to make the viewer analyze the characters and come up with the story on their own, don't you.

For a little while I also thought I might paint the boy, book, and background in black and white and only have the imagination in color.  I still think that would look cool, but I plan to have a thick white mat around this so I wanted it to be bright with color.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out and am happy to be on track with this new series.  It's going to be on a wall near the children's room in the Simsbury Library, so I think it will fit in well.

In other news...

No snow today - yay!

We are getting a touch of freezing rain - boo.

But it's going to warm up soon - YAY!

Thanks for stopping in and stay warm.


No comments: