Thursday, February 20, 2014

Silent Reading

Silent Reading           2014           j. c. phillipps
I've been teaching a private watercolor student over at the West Hartford Art League and it's been good way to get me back into watercolor painting.

I've had this photograph of a girl reading in my archives for awhile and I pulled it out to teach skin tone, shading, hair, and clothing.

It's been a fun painting for me.  The textures all came out the way I wanted and I LOVE the indigo blue against the browns and ochres. 

I debated putting any sort of background in behind her head, but then I thought a little color would her define her profile and the painting needed something vertical to to lead the eye up. 

All in all, I'm pleased.  And I'm surprised to discover that the girl actually looks a lot like my cousin's daughter.  :)

No comments: