Monday, February 10, 2014

Ta Da! The Book Trailer for THE SIMPLES LOVE A PICNIC




It's finished!  Yay!

I'm pretty happy with the visuals, although I will admit that I had a harder time with sound this time around.  I used SAM animation to make the trailer and I don't 100% know how to adjust the volume on the tracks.  I might try to go in and tinker a bit more before the book comes out in April.  Ideally, I'd like the music to be a bit softer and the voice-over to be a bit louder.  That said, since I only make one of these a year and have to re-learn a bunch of stuff - I'm pretty pleased that I can put it together at all.

I think I'll try to do a few different trailers in different styles.  Stop Motion is fun and works well for my collage books, but there's really a lot I can do on iMovie on my Mac if I sit down and explore it.

I could probably pull off something like this book trailer for TEA REX by Molly Idle:



Sometimes, if you have a book that your publisher is willing to put some (more) money behind, they'll get a spiffy trailer made like this one: STUCK by Oliver Jeffers.



That's the kind of stuff that happens when you're an author/illustrator A-lister.

I think I'm more of a C-lister, so I like to look to authors that do their own trailers like Maggie Steifvater.  She doesn't do picture books, she writes Young Adult, but she makes fabulous book trailers and she even composes and performs the music as well. (BTW, I think she' s an a-lister as well.  She's just so chock full o' artistic talent that she makes trailers too.)


I hope you enjoy these!  There's TONS of book trailers out now.  I'm not 100% sure how much good they do in selling books, but in this day-and-age we authors have to take every opportunity we can to let the world know our book exists.

If you want to help out, I'd love it if people tweeted the trailer.  It can be found on YouTube here and it's available for pre-order here.

Happy Monday Everyone!





4 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Have fun making mini-movies, which is what these trailers are. Another way of telling stories, only here you must leave out the middle and the end...

marciastrykowski.com said...

Very cute! You did a great job and I love the paper cutouts. Thanks for sharing the other trailers, too--all great examples.

Julie_c said...

Thanks so much for your comments, Mirka and Marcia!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing your great trailer and the additional examples! I'm always so impressed by people like you who not only make their own books but do all this great marketing too!